Selecting columns from Pandas DataFrameSelecting column or columns from a Pandas DataFrame is one of the most frequently performed tasks while manipulating data. Pandas provides several technique to efficiently retrieve subsets of data from your DataFrame. The Python indexing operators '' and attribute operator '.' allows simple and fast access to DataFrame across a wide range of use cases. Following article will discuss different ways to work with a DataFrame that has a large number of columns.
Create a DataFrame with data
import pandas as pd import numpy as np df = pd.DataFrame() df['Name'] = ['John', 'Doe', 'Bill','Jim','Harry','Ben'] df['TotalMarks'] = [82, 38, 63,22,55,40] df['Grade'] = ['A', 'E', 'B','E','C','D'] df['Promoted'] = [True, False,True,False,True,True]
Name TotalMarks Grade Promoted 0 John 82 A True 1 Doe 38 E False 2 Bill 63 B True 3 Jim 22 E False 4 Harry 55 C True 5 Ben 40 D True
Selecting single column from Pandas DataFrameYou can apply Python selection filters to the DataFrame itself, to select a single column to work with.
0 John 1 Doe 2 Bill 3 Jim 4 Harry 5 Ben
Selecting multiple column from Pandas DataFrameWhen you select multiple columns from DataFrame, use a list of column names within the selection brackets .
Name TotalMarks 0 John 82 1 Doe 38 2 Bill 63 3 Jim 22 4 Harry 55 5 Ben 40Here the inner square brackets  define a Python list with column names from DataFrame, whereas the outer brackets are used to select the data from a DataFrame .
If you want to get dimensionality of the DataFrame
Selecting range of columns
#select second and third columns with all rows df[df.columns[1:3]]
TotalMarks Grade 0 82 A 1 38 E 2 63 B 3 22 E 4 55 C 5 40 D
Select two column with first 3 rowsDataFrame.loc access a group of rows and columns by label(s) or a boolean array .
Name TotalMarks 0 John 82 1 Doe 38 2 Bill 63
Select all column with first row
Name John TotalMarks 82 Grade A Promoted True
Select all rows with first three column
Name TotalMarks Grade 0 John 82 A 1 Doe 38 E 2 Bill 63 B 3 Jim 22 E 4 Harry 55 C 5 Ben 40 D
Select first three rows with first four column
Name TotalMarks Grade Promoted 0 John 82 A True 1 Doe 38 E False 2 Bill 63 B True
- Creating an empty Pandas DataFrame
- How to Check if a Pandas DataFrame is Empty
- How to check if a column exists in Pandas Dataframe
- How to delete column from pandas DataFrame
- Selecting multiple columns in a Pandas dataframe based on condition
- Selecting rows in pandas DataFrame based on conditions
- How to Drop rows in DataFrame by conditions on column values
- Rename column in Pandas DataFrame
- Get a List of all Column Names in Pandas DataFrame
- How to add new columns to Pandas dataframe?
- Change the order of columns in Pandas dataframe
- Concatenate two columns into a single column in pandas dataframe
- How to count the number of rows and columns in a Pandas DataFrame
- Use a list of values to select rows from a pandas dataframe
- How to iterate over rows in a DataFrame in Pandas
- How to drop rows/columns of Pandas DataFrame whose value is NaN
- How to Export Pandas DataFrame to a CSV File
- Convert list of dictionaries to a pandas DataFrame
- How to set a particular cell value in pandas DataFrame