Copy a File using PythonThe shutil module is a built-in Python module that provides a higher-level interface for performing various file and directory operations. It is mainly used for file operations such as copying, moving, and deleting files and directories.
Python copy fileTo copy a file in Python, you need to import the shutil module. The shutil module provides several functions for working with files and directories. Following are the steps to copy file in Python.
- Import the shutil module
- Specify the source file and destination file paths
- Use the shutil.copy() function to copy the file
Import the shutil module
Specify the source file and destination file pathsNext, you need to specify the paths of the source file and the destination file. You can do this by assigning the paths to variables.
Make sure to replace "path/to/source/file" and "path/to/destination/file" with the actual file paths on your system.
Use the shutil.copy() function to copy the fileFinally, you can use the shutil.copy() function to copy the file from the source path to the destination path.
Following is the complete Python code:
Your file should now be copied from the source path to the destination path.
Python shutil moduleThe Python shutil module contains functions that are used to automate common file operations in a platform-independent way. These functions make it easy to perform file operations, without worrying about platform-specific differences or low-level file system details.
Following are some of the most common tasks that can be performed with the shutil module:
- Copying files and directories
- Moving files and directories
- Deleting files and directories
- Creating and extracting archive files
- Changing file permissions
- Finding files with specific patterns
Following are some important methods in the Python shutil module, along with examples:
Moving files and directoriesSyntax:
In the above example, the Source folder located on the Desktop is moved to the Destination folder on the Desktop.
Deleting files and directoriesSyntax:
In the above example, the TestFolder and all its contents are deleted from the Desktop.
Creating and extracting archive filesSyntax:
In the above example, an archive file named TestArchive.zip is created on the Desktop containing the files from the TestFolder directory.
These are just a few examples of the many useful methods available in the Python shutil module.
- How to open and close a file in Python
- How to write files in python
- How to read a file properly in Python
- How to read a file line by line in Python
- How to use Split in Python
- Directory Operations Using Python
- How to check that a file or directory exists with Python
- File Access Mode in Python
- Difference between read, readline and readlines | python
- Python file positions | seek() and tell()