What is a proxy server?
Proxy server is an intermediary server between client and the internet. It works by intercepting connections between sender and receiver . All incoming data enters through one port and is forwarded to the rest of the network via another port.
Some Google Chrome users may experience a problem where they receive an "Unable to connect to the proxy server – ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED " message whenever they attempt to visit a website. This error means your browser is not able to connect to the internet because of the proxy connection. Either you have invalid proxy connection or configuration of proxy is controlled by the third party.
How to fix it?
Change Proxy settings
- Press Windows Key + R then type "inetcpl.cpl" , click "OK" button.
Now you will get "Internet Properties" .
- Select "Connections" tab and then select LAN settings button at the bottom.
- Make sure if the Proxy Server is unchecked (the third checkbox). If it is checked with a tick, remove it.
- Check "Automatically detect settings" and ensure all other boxes are not checked in this window.
- Click Ok then Apply and reboot your PC.
Delete Proxy Server Registry Key
- Press Windows key + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
NOTE: Before initiating any changes on the Windows Registry , we would recommend creating its backup. For that, expand the File tab and select Export.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Select ProxyEnable key in the right-hand side window, then right-click on it and select Delete.
- Follow the above step for the ProxyServer registry key also.
- Reboot the system.
- Right-click on Windows key and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:
- Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
- Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
- Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
- Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
After that, you need to type Exit and hit Enter to shut down the Command Prompt window.
NEXT.....Gmail smtp error