Python Modulo Operator (%)In Python, the modulo operator is represented by the percentage symbol (%). It returns the remainder of dividing the left operand by the right operand. Syntax:
x % y
x=8 y=4 print(x % y) //Output: 08 % 2 evaluates to 0 because there's no remainder if 8 is divided by 2 ( 4 times ).
x=9 y=2 print(x % y) //Output: 19 % 2 evaluates to 1 because there's a remainder of 1 when 9 is divided by 2 . So, the Python modulo operator returns the remainder of a division operation, or 0 if there is no remainder. The modulo operator(%) is considered an arithmetic operation, along with +, –, /, *, **, //.
Modulo Operator With float
You can use modulo operator with a float, it will return the remainder of division, but as a float value
x=15.5 y=10.5 print(x % y) //Output: 5.0
x=15.5 y=2.3 print(x % y) //Output: 1.700000000000001
Modulo Operator With Negative numbersYou can use Modulo Operator with negative numbers. The sign of the result always will be the sign of the divisor.
x=10 y=-3 print(x % y) //Output: -2
x=-80 y=19 print(x % y) //Output: 15
Modulo Operator | ZeroDivisionError
x=15 y=0 print(x % y)
//Output: Traceback (most recent call last): File "./prog.py", line 5, in <module> ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zeroA ZeroDivisionError is raised when an attempt is made to divide a number by zero. This error occurs when the denominator of a division operation is zero.
Modulo Operation in MathematicsThe modulo operation can also be thought of as the "clock arithmetic" operation where the result of the modulo operation is always in the range of 0 to (divisor-1). This operation is useful in many branches of mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and computer science.
- Print the following pattern using python
- Python Program to Check Leap Year
- Remove first n characters from a string | Python
- Check if the first and last number of a list is the same | Python
- Number of occurrences of a substring in a string in Python
- Remove last element from list in Python
- Enumerate() in Python
- Writing to a File using Python's print() Function
- How to read csv file in Python
- Dictionary Comprehension in Python
- How to Convert List to String in Python
- How to convert int to string in Python
- Random Float numbers in Python