What is a proxy server?
A proxy server acts as an intermediary between clients and the internet, facilitating the exchange of data between them. Its primary function involves intercepting and managing connections between the sender (client) and the receiver (internet server or website). Upon receiving a client's request to access a web resource, the proxy server relays the request to the internet server on the client's behalf. Similarly, when the internet server responds, the proxy server intercepts the response and forwards it to the client. This data forwarding process typically involves using different ports to efficiently handle incoming data and relay it to the rest of the network, contributing to improved network performance and security. Proxy servers also offer additional features such as caching, filtering, and security measures, making them essential components in network infrastructures, effectively regulating internet access and safeguarding against potential threats.
Some users of Google Chrome may encounter an issue when they receive an "Unable to connect to the proxy server – ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED" error message while trying to access a website. This error indicates that the browser is unable to establish a connection to the internet due to proxy settings. The problem could arise from having an invalid proxy connection or configuration, or it may be caused by the proxy settings being controlled by a third-party application or software. In such cases, troubleshooting the proxy settings and ensuring their validity can help resolve the issue and restore internet connectivity in the browser.
How to fix it?
Change Proxy settings
- Press Windows Key + R then type "inetcpl.cpl" , click "OK" button.
Now you will get "Internet Properties" .
- Select "Connections" tab and then select LAN settings button at the bottom.
- Make sure if the Proxy Server is unchecked (the third checkbox). If it is checked with a tick, remove it.
- Check "Automatically detect settings" and ensure all other boxes are not checked in this window.
- Click Ok then Apply and reboot your PC.
Delete Proxy Server Registry Key
- Press Windows key + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
NOTE: Before initiating any changes on the Windows Registry , we would recommend creating its backup. For that, expand the File tab and select Export.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Select ProxyEnable key in the right-hand side window, then right-click on it and select Delete.
- Follow the above step for the ProxyServer registry key also.
- Reboot the system.
- Right-click on Windows key and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:
- Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
- Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
- Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
- Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
After that, you need to type Exit and hit Enter to shut down the Command Prompt window.
ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED is an error message that Google Chrome users may encounter when trying to access a website. It indicates that there is an issue with the proxy connection, either due to invalid settings or proxy configuration controlled by a third-party application. Troubleshooting the proxy settings can help resolve the error and restore internet connectivity in the browser.