How to check if element is empty using jQuery?
You can use jQuery is() and :empty Selector together to check whether elements is empty or not before performing some action on that element.
jQuery is() method
jQuery is() method checks if one of the selected elements matches the selectorElement. This method traverses along the DOM elements to find a match, which satisfies the passed parameter. It will return true if there is a match otherwise returns false .
The :empty selector matches every element that has no children. Children can be either element nodes or text (including whitespace).
White space and line breaks are the main issues with using :empty selector . In CSS the :empty pseudo class behaves the same way. So, alternatively you can use the following method to check whether elements is empty or not.
If by empty , you mean with no HTML content and no white space either. If there's a chance that there will be white space, then you can use $.trim() and html() to check whether elements is empty or not.
- jQuery Interview Questions FAQ - 1
- jQuery Interview Questions FAQ - 2
- Is jQuery a programming language?
- Why do we need to go for JQuery?
- How to check jQuery version?
- How to multiple version of jQuery?
- What is jQuery CDN?
- Advantages of minified version of JQuery
- How do I check if the DOM is ready?
- How to Use the jQuery load() Method
- Difference between document.ready() and body onload()?
- What is the use of param() method?
- How to work with jQuery parent(), children() and siblings()?
- Difference between parent() and parents() in jQuery?
- What does jQuery data() function do?
- How do you check if an element exists or not in jQuery?
- How to run an event handler only once in jQuery?
- How to disable/enable an element with jQuery
- Hide and show image on button click using jQuery
- Difference Between Prop and Attr in jQuery
- How do I check if an element is hidden in jQuery?
- What happen if you return false from a jQuery event handler?
- What is each() function in jQuery? How do you use it?
- Which one is more efficient, document.getElementbyId( "myId") or $("#myId)?
- What is the difference between $.map and $.grep in jQuery
- What is the use of serialize method in jQuery
- What is the use of clone method in jQuery?
- What is event.PreventDefault in jQuery?
- Difference between event.PreventDefault and event.stopPropagation?
- What are deferred and promise object in jQuery?