For example, if you set up a click handler for a link and you call e.preventDefault() in that click handler, then the browser will not process the click on the link and will not follow the href in the link.
It's most noticeable with < a > tags when the click event, because you might want to prevent the link from being followed. But, it also works on things like keyboard input , touch, and so on.
If the hyperlink above is clicked then the browser will not try to redirect the browser (because of the preventDefault() call), but rather it will instead do the rest of the processing and append data to the div instead.
event.preventDefault() Vs. event.stopPropagation()
- event.preventDefault() – It stops the browsers default behaviour.
- event.stopPropagation() – It prevents the event from propagating (or bubbling up) the DOM.
- jQuery Interview Questions FAQ - 1
- jQuery Interview Questions FAQ - 2
- Is jQuery a programming language?
- Why do we need to go for JQuery?
- How to check jQuery version?
- How to multiple version of jQuery?
- What is jQuery CDN?
- Advantages of minified version of JQuery
- How do I check if the DOM is ready?
- How to Use the jQuery load() Method
- Difference between document.ready() and body onload()?
- What is the use of param() method?
- How to work with jQuery parent(), children() and siblings()?
- Difference between parent() and parents() in jQuery?
- What does jQuery data() function do?
- How do you check if an element exists or not in jQuery?
- How do I check if an HTML element is empty using jQuery?
- How to run an event handler only once in jQuery?
- How to disable/enable an element with jQuery
- Hide and show image on button click using jQuery
- Difference Between Prop and Attr in jQuery
- How do I check if an element is hidden in jQuery?
- What happen if you return false from a jQuery event handler?
- What is each() function in jQuery? How do you use it?
- Which one is more efficient, document.getElementbyId( "myId") or $("#myId)?
- What is the difference between $.map and $.grep in jQuery
- What is the use of serialize method in jQuery
- What is the use of clone method in jQuery?
- Difference between event.PreventDefault and event.stopPropagation?
- What are deferred and promise object in jQuery?