event.preventDefault() Vs. return false
When you return false; from an event handler it prevents the default action for that event and stops the event bubbling up through the DOM. It is effectively the same as calling both e.preventDefault and e.stopPropagation on the passed jQuery.Event object.
jQuery e.preventDefault() will prevent the default event from occurring.
- Prevent a submit button from submitting a form.
- Prevent a link from following the URL.
jQuery event.stopPropagation() method stops the bubbling of an event to parent elements, preventing any parent event handlers from being executed.
It simply stops the execution of the function(). That means, it will end the whole execution of process.
The reason to use return false; is that you don't want to execute the function any more in strictly mode .
- jQuery Interview Questions FAQ - 1
- jQuery Interview Questions FAQ - 2
- Is jQuery a programming language?
- Why do we need to go for JQuery?
- How to check jQuery version?
- How to multiple version of jQuery?
- What is jQuery CDN?
- Advantages of minified version of JQuery
- How do I check if the DOM is ready?
- How to Use the jQuery load() Method
- Difference between document.ready() and body onload()?
- What is the use of param() method?
- How to work with jQuery parent(), children() and siblings()?
- Difference between parent() and parents() in jQuery?
- What does jQuery data() function do?
- How do you check if an element exists or not in jQuery?
- How do I check if an HTML element is empty using jQuery?
- How to run an event handler only once in jQuery?
- How to disable/enable an element with jQuery
- Hide and show image on button click using jQuery
- Difference Between Prop and Attr in jQuery
- How do I check if an element is hidden in jQuery?
- What is each() function in jQuery? How do you use it?
- Which one is more efficient, document.getElementbyId( "myId") or $("#myId)?
- What is the difference between $.map and $.grep in jQuery
- What is the use of serialize method in jQuery
- What is the use of clone method in jQuery?
- What is event.PreventDefault in jQuery?
- Difference between event.PreventDefault and event.stopPropagation?
- What are deferred and promise object in jQuery?